Seth Apter, of The Altered Page, recently had his first book published!!!
This book was a result of the interaction he had with many online artists, and a survey that these artists all participated in.
I am thrilled to say I got to participate, and altho' I am not one of the 31 spotlighted artists in the book, one of my survey question answers is in there, and my blog is listed. Woohoo! I already got my copy- I pre-ordered on Amazon!!! It's a great, must have book, spotlighting many great artists, including Angela Cartwright, Sarah Fishburn, and Robyn Gordon- to name a few!!!!
Now, Seth has taken 3 of the survey questions, one from each section of the book, and is asking everyone to answer 1, 2 or all 3. These creations will travel with him on a rotating basis. Very exciting!!
1. The Artistic Ingredient: If your artwork could talk, what would it say?
2. Passion in Action: Who has had the most impact on your creative life?
3. Secrets Revealed: What is one thing you have never shared with the creative community?
Each answer had to be on a 5" x 5" square, a piece of paper, card stock, canvas, wood panel, fabric, whatever strikes your fancy.
There was no specific deadline - one day, he will just pop up and say it is now closed to all submissions!!!
So, I rushed off to complete something.
I have several old book covers (many of which I have given away to others, since I had no idea what to do with them!)
These seemed like the perfect opportunity to use some of what I kept! I searched thru the few I had left, and cut them into three 5" squares, thinking I would answer all three questions - why not?????
Then, I took my little dremel drill and drilled holes in the sides, thinking they could be loosely bound together, so it would fold up in a neat little pile, and/or stand upright.
I was looking for brown card stock for the words, had none, and couldn't find any in the local craft store. Suddenly, I had an idea - not an original idea, I am sure- but thought I would see if my printer would accept a brown paper bag to print on - and it did! Whew!!! Didn't want to hear it from D/H, if I screwed up the printer!!!
Then, I rounded up some of my saved used teabags, some vintage text, and used them to cover one of the squares. Also, found a lovely handmade paper from one of my online swaps, trimmed it up, and started pasting away.
I ripped the text printed on the paper bags, and burned the edges over a candle. That worked for the first few, then some of the thinner bags started going up in flames, a bit too quickly!!LOL So, I "aged" the remaining edges with brown ink.
I "bound" the pieces together with a waxed cord, nothing fancy, so it can fold up, or stand up.
Here is the finished product
Don't want to spoil the fun- it just went out in the mail today to Seth. Hope he likes it..........
I can't wait to see the other ones, as they come rolling in to his studio!!!!
It does feel good to have actually completed a project-and, on time!!!!